Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 1


Over the past few weeks, I have been experementing with monotyple prints. One of my favorite teachers had taught me how to do these prints. On a piece of glass or plexi glass you smear printmaking ink then simply print it on paper. I have tons of these prints just lying around on my floor and they all have the potential to become something more.
For today, I've decided to destroy something to create something. By taking this print and breaking it up into 5 pieces, it allows me to control the movement and speed. Also, ironically, by breaking up the print it actually makes each piece contribute to a whole. The broken pieces are stronger than the whole.
I feel as though this piece is really connected with me. I'm simple, like the monotype black print, abstract and intense movements. I have major parts about me that make up my whole being. Artist, skater, brother, son, friend. All hese roles make up my whole being. If i loose one part it can jepordize my flow, my essence. If one of these strands of paper was missing, the piece would loose its flow and its soul.
April 24, 2009

2 comments:

  1. Alright, man. Go for it. The more you can record to day the more you will appreciate it tomorrow. What frustrated me at mid-life was realizing how much of my first 35 years that I HAD recorded in quick sketches, odd ramblings, etc., were discarded, thrown away. I realized at that point I was going to record whatever I could and keep it. I got a new sketchbook, opened, and gave myself 3 rules: 1 - put anything (anything!) down. (phone number, odd sketch, comment on bleak night, etc.) 2 - Never skip a page or tear a page out. 3. Keep going until I FINISHED the book. (I had started and abandoned too many sketch journals in years past.)

    It worked. Over the last 35 years it has been my medium of art. And continues today. Now via the net. Thank you for commenting on the discussion page where I had made a post.

    I'll check to see how you are doing. And I appreciate you taking a look at my blog. I have posted 50 images plus this month. Just getting started. (grin)
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the deconstruction reconstruction way you worked on this page. Your 68 days project is a wonderful idea and a great creative exercise for both your artist self and personal evolution. I know working on my daily art journal has been a challenging commitment at times, but such a rewarding one! Thanks for making it a community opportunity as well - really a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete